Brian M. Barefoot is possibly the most qualified candidate ever to run for School Board of Indian River County.
As a proven leader, Mr. Barefoot brings extensive experience in the world of business, education, as well as a member of and trusted adviser to various Boards.
• Mr. Barefoot’s experience includes president of Babson College, a world-renowned business school. During Mr. Barefoot’s 7-year tenure, the College was consecutively named No. 1 for entrepreneurship education according to U.S. News & World Report. Also, Babson’s graduate business program maintained its ranking as a top 20 graduate program in the country.
• Mr. Barefoot holds a master’s degree in Business Administration and is highly competent in analyzing financial statements, budgeting, economic projections, and investments. Most school boards are represented by members with little or no experience in these areas.
• Earlier in his career, Mr. Barefoot served as EVP and Director of Investment Banking at PaineWebber & Co., Senior Managing Director at Merrill Lynch and CEO of technology company NeoVision Hypersystems.
• While a member of the Board of Trustees of St. Edward’s School in Vero Beach, Mr. Barefoot was involved in overseeing the school’s transition from the challenges presented by the 2008 financial crisis to its current reputation of excellence.
• Mr. Barefoot is well-known for his service as the elected mayor of Indian River Shores from 2013 to 2018, when he led the complicated effort of severing the town’s dependence on the City of Vero Beach electric utility and working with city, county and state officials to secure its ultimate sale to Florida Power & Light.
• Mr. Barefoot remains involved in public service as a vice chair of the Cleveland Clinic Indian River Hospital Foundation.
• Brian and his wife Pam reside in Vero Beach, they have 3 children and 6 grandchildren.